We stopped using dryer sheets this past summer as another way to eliminate products that contain chemical fragrances that adversely affect my respiratory system, as well as the health of my family. This is only one of many changes we have made over the last four years to achieve a chemical-free lifestyle.
Are fabric dryer sheets bad?
Just like you, we used dryer sheets for years for the fragrance, static control and fabric softener. What you believe is happening when using a dryer sheet and what is really happening are two completely different things.
Dryer sheets may provide a wonderful fragrance and act as a fabric softener, but in reality you are exposing your family to potentially toxic and carcinogenic chemicals. You are breathing the chemical perfumes released by the dryer sheets and from the affected clothing. When you wear this clothing the toxins are in direct contact with your skin (which is largest organ of the human body) allowing the chemicals to be absorbed directly into your bloodstream.
Wool dryer balls are a healthier alternative to dryer sheets
Wool dryer balls are made of 100% wool as a natural replacement for toxin-filled dryer sheets. The balls are made with all-natural materials and are designed to last for years. They resist becoming unraveled and are more gentle on clothing than plastic dryer ball alternatives.
Wool dryer balls work by bouncing around in your dryer, lifting and separating clothing and increasing hot air flow. They shorten drying time, soften fabric, reduce static and help bed sheets stay untangled.
Wool dryer balls are easy and safe to use
- Place wool dryer balls in the dryer with your wet laundry.
- Use 3-4 balls for a small or medium loads or 5-6 balls for a larger loads. The more balls you use, the faster the clothes will dry and the fragrance will be stronger.
- Turn on your dryer and presto! Your clothes will smell fresh and be chemical-free!
The benefits of using wool dryer balls:
- Chemical-free, unlike dryer sheets
- Saves your dryer from residues left from chemical fabric softeners
- Wicks moisture cut your drying time in half
- Saves you money on your energy bill
- Helps reduce static
- Can be reused and last for years
- Increases the fluffiness of your clothes
- Are safe to use with cloth diapers
Use Young Living Essential Oils with wool dryer balls
Essential oils are are ideal for use with wool dryer balls. Place 2-3 drops of your favorite oil(s) on each ball. You can use more or less depending on your preference, but this is a good amount to start with. Using essential oils adds one more way to get the therapeutic benefit of oils into your life. Of course, we only use and recommend Young Living Essential Oils in our home because of their purity, quality and therapeutic value.
Try these Young Living Essential Oil combinations for laundry that smells simply amazing!
- 2-3 balls of Orange and 2-3 balls of Stress Away
- 2-3 balls of Lavender and 2-3 balls of Orange
- 2-3 balls of Purification and 2-3 balls of Tea Tree
- 2-3 balls of Peppermint and 1-2 balls of Ylang-Ylang
One step at a time toward a healthier home
It’s all about taking “baby steps” to having a chemical-free home. Every little step we take to reduce the amount of chemicals that enter our home is a step in the right direction. Over time the effect of the little things add up!
Do you have a favorite DIY project like this? Let us know by leaving a comment below.