AHHH, summertime has finally arrived and I am doing my happy dance! It couldn’t get here soon enough! I am loving all the colorful flowers and shades of green in the grasses and trees. Nothing is better than relaxing on our patio soaking up some sun listening to the songs of the birds. Oh yeah!
Summertime is all about enjoying the outdoors – gardening, bicycling, hiking, picnics, any type of outside activity, and maybe a little bean bag toss. What I am looking forward to the most this summer is hiking the Perimeter Trail around Ouray, Colorado. Oh boy, I am daydreaming about it and dancing in my chair right now. Woohoo!
They say this trail takes about 3 hours, but we like to stop and enjoy the scenery, so for us it might take 5-6 hours. Maybe you saw some of our pictures of Facebook from last year where we put our feet in the cold mountain stream or played in the water fall. But I have to warn you. This trail is not for those who have a fear of heights… funny thing is that is totally me!
For as long as I can remember I’ve been deathly afraid of anything involving ladders, roofs, overhangs, or ledges. This trail is all about the adventure and the beauty that you can’t see from your car. But most of all I’m facing my fear head-on. I want to do it! (I have some awesome oils to help with that!)
Hiking the Perimeter Trail is hardest for the first quarter mile or so. You climb straight up the mountain-side. Here are some tips I learned about hiking steep and dangerous mountain trails:
- Use Valor essential oil for courage (you’ll need it) and always lean in-towards the mountain
- I like to breathe in the sweet aroma of Valor by placing a few drops in my hand then rubbing my hands together. Then I cup my hands over my mouth and nose and breathe deeply. After a few deep breaths, I rub the oil onto my neck and hair.
- Use peppermint essential oil to help focus on your footing
- A quick application of peppermint to the back of my neck and under my nose is a great pick me up. Plus, we like to carry water bottles filled with peppermint water using Peppermint Vitality Essential Oil. This is a great way to drink oil-infused water.
- Use Ningxia Nitro for energy to keep moving forward
- We always carry a couple of shots of Ningxia Nitro. It’s ready to drink straight from the tube anytime we feel like we’re getting worn out.
- Use Stress Away essential oil and don’t look down until you can stop to hang onto something or sit down.
- I apply Stress Away just like I do with Valor. That’s a great combo for confidence and to calm my nerves when the trail gets sketchy. And, boy, does it!
Yeah, that’s sounds about right. Did I mention oils? Seriously, make sure you plan to make a few pauses and rests – the air is a lot thinner at 8,500 feet. But I can tell you with ultimate certainty that It is SO worth the effort! The BEST hike ever. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this place!
So what about you? What adventures are you most looking forward to this summer? Tell us in the comments.